Friday, June 6, 2008

Strawberry Shortcakes

I am not a baker by any means. In fact, I do it very rarely. But after getting some fresh strawberries (not from the grocery store, yay!) I was really craving strawberry shortcake.
I used this recipe from Betty Crocker for the shortcake.

1/3 cup butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
2 1/2 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon granulated or coarse decorating sugar

1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. In medium bowl, cut butter into flour, 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt, using pastry blender or 2 forks, until mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Stir in milk.
3. Place on lightly floured surface; knead 5 to 7 times or until dough forms. Pat dough 1/2 inch thick; cut out 12 rounds with 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush egg yolk over rounds; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar.
4. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.


I also whipped my own cream for the first time! It wasn't very sweet (I like everything to be overly sweet) but it was beautiful and easy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! This looks amazing! What beautiful biscuits!